Pacific Gas and Electric Company
Requisition ID # 12411
Job Category : Business Operations / Strategy; Energy Services / Trading; Information Technology; Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Strategy and Policy
Job Location : San Francisco
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States.And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, TOGETHER, BUILDING A BETTER CALIFORNIA is not just a slogan.It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services.They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic informationor any other factor that is not related to the job.
The Grid Integration and Innovation (GII) organization s mission is to design, test and integrate innovative solutions to accelerate PG&E s transition to the sustainable grid of the future. These solutions will be achieved leveraging the dedicated functional expertise in: Strategy and Policy Design; Data Analytics; Integrated Grid Planning, Grid Innovation Pilots.
GII s Integrated Grid Planning team evaluates cutting edge grid operations with the potential to play a key role in building PG&E s vision of an Integrated Grid Platform, where the grid is a platform that connects devices that produce and consume energy in a way that supports achieving California s energy policy.
Responsible for leading the integration of new distributed technologies into PG&E s transmission and distribution grid planning, operations and investment processes. This involves directing a team that will inform Company strategic positions, influence policy and propose process improvements that enable the integration of DERs into PG&E s grid of future that provides safe, reliable and affordable clean energy to PG&E s customers through:
* Driving complex decisions on distributed technologies deployment with data through comprehensive planning analysis and pilot projects
* Shaping policy and regulatory process to structure optimal DER integration practices
* Building industry partnerships to promote collaboration, data sharing and best practice sharing
* Initiating and partnering on new or enhanced Company processes that integrate DERs into planning, operations and investment processes while minimizing utility costs
* Developing national standards that integrate new technologies with PG&E s transmission and distribution grid operations
The position reports to the Manager of Integrated Grid Planning.
* Assist customers in assessing the viability of distributed technology and/or resource interconnection projects.
* Collaborate with other IOUs, manufacturers, engineering, IT, and standards departments on advancing new DER applications, such as smart inverters, and reducing interconnection costs.
* Understand the various data streams that are needed to model grid impacts.
* Meet with stakeholders to better understand their issues and inform them of the potential grid impacts.
* Explore, innovate, and demonstrate technologies that facilitate easier grid integration
* Identify conditions when DER may provide more benefits to the customers and the grid.
* Assist in assessments of potential DER risks at higher DER penetration levels
* Assist in material prep and/or presenting for technical experts in regulatory proceedings and industry working groups.
Knowledge and Skills
* Competency in planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
* Competency in using compelling arguments to gain support and commitment of others
* Competency in providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done
* Competency in developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization goals
* Competency in making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
* Competency in developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
* Competency in effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization
* Competency in relevant federal, state, and local regulations and laws - as needed to perform at the job level
* Competency in electric grid engineering and planning matters
* Bachelor s Degree in engineering or equivalent experience
* 5 years of electric utility related experience
* Strong understanding of power system fundamentals required
* Experience with grid modeling software (e.g. CYMDIST, PSLF, Aspen, etc.)
* Strong sense of independence and initiative
* Ability to work cohesively in quick team environments
* Up to 10% of travel requirements
* Electrical Engineering Degree with Power Systems emphasis
* Masters of Science in Engineering, preferably Electrical Engineering with Power System emphasis.
* Licensed Professional Electrical Engineer in the State of California.
* Protection System Engineering experience
* Experience in project management
* Knowledge of industry relevant best practices and trends.
* Industry association engagement.
* Extensive knowledge of electric state and federal regulatory requirements.
* Process improvement knowledge and skill including ability to identify issues and opportunities.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively influence and present to management.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, incorporated in California in 1905, is one of the largest combination natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, the company is a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation. There are approximately 20,000 employees who carry out Pacific Gas and Electric Company's primary business—the transmission and delivery of energy. The company provides natural gas and electric service to approximately 15 million people throughout a 70,000-square-mile service area in northern and central California. Pacific Gas and Electric Company and other utilities in the state are regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission. The CPUC was created by the state Legislature in 1911.